Monday, May 9, 2011

Doll Making Playday

I've previously mentioned several of us like-minded crafters get together once a month to play.  Ann really wanted to have a go at making a cloth doll and I found one in my collection that I thought would be suitable for beginners.  Why is that things that look simple very rarely are!  Her arms and hands are incorporated into the body and as Margaret said, she looks as though she needs the loo LOL.  The hands are supposed to be painted but we decided not to bother.  Everyone did splendidly and Jill, our hostess for the day; Friday; had almost completed hers before we left.  I completed mine over the weekend.  Pat's is done now and is fabulous and funky.  As Pat has mentioned on her blog that this is a Tsunami Butterfly Doll, I thought I'd explain.  The designer; Patti Lavalley; designed it a few years ago so people could sell it with the proviso they gave some of the money in aid of the Tsunami in Asia a few years ago.


This fabric paper box is one we started at the last playday.  It originally had 5 sides and closed at the top, but I decided to change the shape and leave it open.  I've gone for 'less is more' with this just adding some machine stitching and beads.  The fabric paper was made with muslin, PVA and tissue paper, then painted when dry.  The box is approx 53/4"x21/2".  The skeletonised hydrangea head is off my hydrangea; I found it in the garden some weeks ago, I think it's lovely.



20 comments:

Unknown said...

2 fantastic creations, they do make a lovely arrangement just like skeleton leaves, love the doll and i can see what u mean about wanting a pee, the wings are fab cant make up my mind a fairy or a mermaid, but lovely great choice of colour too.
Hope you are keeping well.
Chris x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This doll does NOT look simple to me, but I can't sew a straight line, even if I wanted to. So it's really lovely, and I finally got the loo comment.

I also love the fabric paper box. Those hydrangea heads add that perfect touch!! I'm totally impressed with both of these.

donnalouiserodgers said...

love both things, but really really like the blue fabric made from paper...

Jayne C said...

The doll is gorgeous...off to look at Pat's now!! x

Jayne C said...

Whoops!! forgot to say...love the paper box too!! xx

Lynne said...

Fantastic dool Ann, what a wonderful project. Sounds like you had a lovely day. See you soon love and hugs Lynne xx

cheryl said...

oh hun this doll is just brilliant hun your are so clever just love it hugs cheryl xxx

flutterbycrafter said...

Love your doll, not done anything more on mine due to family probs this weekend,will finish though, promise, the box looks good too xx

JoZart Designs said...

Your doll is fantabulous... love her! Had to laugh about the pee though! See what you mean.
Two great projects I wish I'd been in on.
I'll be at Aintree on the Saturday, maybe also the Friday as Sat I'll be with a friend who is new to it all so I won't see so much. Remind me when you are going in case we can meet up..
Jo xxx

Kathleen said...

Well you are certainly right about the need to rush to the loo, she looks like a mermaid to me.
Love the skeleton leaves and the box looks good too.

Kath x

patcrafts said...

Your doll looks fabulous, much prefer your wings to mine and you have given yours some colour on her face I forgot.
Love the box with the Hydrangea, I still haven't finished mine but it will have to wait now till I come back. xx

Cardarian said...

Your doll is beautiful! It looks like a fairy mermaid as it has wings! Really lovely! Also your other project is breathtaking! Your are the master no doubt!
Lots of hugs
Cardarian

kayc said...

Love the skeleton leaves. Your doll is fantastic. Glad you had a good time. Kathleen x

Linby said...

She is lovely Anne.Far from needing the loo she reminds me of those heads on the front of ships - I can just see her at the front bow of one.
Great paper vase.
Linbyx

Angie said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog ...I think your butterfly doll is so endearing ...I love real skeleton leaves and hydranga heads ...sort of fairy like

Jill said...

Love the doll and the 'vase'. No wonder she needs the loo, with a tail that tight!

The Crafty Goat Girl said...

Wowee you have been very busy again lol! Two super-duper creations, love them both! Wow you are just too clever, thanks for all of the lovely inspiration you give to me, I always want to think out of the box when I have been over here. Keep up the wonderful work, love them all! hugs Heidi x

Linda said...

Fab blog Anne - love the dolly :)

Tracey said...

Gorgeous, she is fab.
x

Carol Rigby said...

I have just come across your blog and have become a follower I look forward to seeing more of your lovely creations.