Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Snow, snow, thick thick snow

We've had a lot of snow here - it may not seem a lot compared with other countries or even other parts of the UK but it's a lot for us.  It started last Thursday night, continued all day Friday and part of Saturday.  We ended up with about 6".  It did stop for a few days but we had a bit yesterday and it's snowing now.  I hope it doesn't carry on as I go line dancing Wednesday evenings but if it snows too heavily I won't be going in case I can't get out of the car park :-/
The picture on the left was taken Friday evening, the one on the right taken Saturday morning (don't take notice of the snow on the chair as it has a cushion on so looks more).


I made this vase from a liquid detergent bottle :-D  I roughed the surface up then glued on crumpled tissue paper and a bit of scrim using Mod Podge gloss (I just found the gloss first, but matte would work as well).  This was then coloured with paint and rubbed over with Metallic Rub-Ons.  The little squares are done using gel medium through a stencil, I added a little bit of metallic paint to some of the squares.  I added more Mod Podge over the whole surface to seal it.  The vase measures 7.5"x5".

I'm trying to clear some items waiting for repair/completion.  This cardi had a large ladder next to the seam on the sleeve, there was no way to just sew it up as the ladder was quite wide but I didn't want to throw the cardi out.  I bought some lace to cover it but had to over-stitch the ladder by putting a piece of thin wool (from another cardigan I bought from a charity shop to felt) underneath and stitching over, then added the lace.  I've added some lace to the other sleeve to tie it in. Sorry the pic's a bit blurred.

I also completed a skirt I started a few years ago for one of my granddaughters but it got stuck in a box and forgotten about - out of sight out of mind describes me very well haha.  It only needed the top turning over and some elastic putting in.  Of course it won't fit my either of my youngest granddaughters now so I've passed it on to another family member.
A pair of collared doves that have been visiting my garden for a couple of years at least.  This was taken through the kitchen window.  I do have a couple of hanging bird feeders but rigged this up so I can watch the birds from the kitchen.  It's a plant pot with an ice-cream tub, with holes in the bottom, wedged in.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Anne Looks bad there with snow I feel sorry for all the lambs being born, living by the sea has its advantages the snow doesn't lay, a beautiful vase you would never think it was a detergent bottle, and the cardi looks great too, I hope you get to your line dancing.
Chris x

Monica said...

I never remember it like that. it looks so pretty the first day then it is down hill. Hope you get spring soon. Easter is so early this year it does not feel right or maybe that they put a stand of bananas in front of the Cadbury eggs.

Angie said...

Hi there ...sorry I've not been by for a while ...not sure where the time goes concidering I dont do much lol. I know snow is a pain but at least its pretty ...we have had almost none ...we actually woke to an inch this morning but within a few hours it had gone.Boo Hoo.
Looks like you had fun making your vase ....looks great. xx

Kathleen said...

Well hope you made it to line dancing. Been quite heavy again here today but not settled.
Great vase, tried that once, wasn't for me. lol
Great idea to save the cardy, looks brilliant.
Good idea with the bird feeder.
Hubby grumbled and said, thought you said they'd all go for the chocolate cake?

Kath x

patcrafts said...

Hope you got to Line Dancing I am sure you won't get stuck in the car park as this snow isn't sticking. Love, love your vase it is fantastic I don't know where you get your imagination from, certainly didn't catch it from me lol xx