Sunday, June 10, 2012

SuperLambananas

Went to see DS and granddaughters yesterday :-)  Grandson Lewis came with me, but Robyn doesn't like the long drive, thinks she's going to miss something at home (even though there was nothing exciting going on) and as DD was working yesterday morning she would've wanted to be in when her mum got home; even though she then plagued the life out of her mum as is her wont!  The weather was miserable, chucked it down while we were on the motorway and there was fog, mainly when we were passing the moors.  We went to Liverpool where luckily we only had  a little bit of light rain.  We visited the New Museum of Liverpool not a nice looking structure IMO.  And though there are lots of new 'modern' buildings in that area I feel they could've been built to fit in more with the beautiful old buildings around them.  I snapped some of the SuperLambanana sculptures that are dotted around.  You may have seen some previously on Jo's blog and if memory serves also on Donna's (I stand to be corrected though).  Apparantly the original one was created by Japanese artist Taro Chiezo to warn of the dangers of genetically modified food.





 Distant view of Liverpool's Catholic Cathedral; yes we have 2! I've included the other pic (not taken by me) as you can see so little in mine.


The Albert Dock

Statue of Billy Fury (1940-1983)






The River Mersey was quite choppy.


SuperLambananas outside the New Museum of Liverpool



View of Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral (It was much further away than it looks) completed in 1978 (the foundation stone was laid in 1904) is the largest in the UK and the fifth largest in the world

Embroderies in the museum depicting images of Liverpool (there are 2 others either side of this)

A lovely SuperLambanana in the museum, her name is Mandy



Laser cut corrugated card depicting important events - see the info.

Amber, the youngest, decided to squeeze into one of the lockers after DS had retrieved their coats and things.

7 comments:

Sheilagh said...

That looks like a great day out, glad the rain was having a rest. I wasn't happy about the new museum buliding, but I must admit it has grown on me now. Looks great from the river.

JoZart Designs said...

Sounds like you had a great day in the 'pool and there is certainly so much to see and do for free. Btw the silver superlambanana is made of a special metal that space ships to the moon were made of and is the only other item made from it, by special permission. I LOVE the new museum and think it is a striking example of modern architecture. One day we'll get together there. We are like trains in the night. I'm in Germany at the mo enjoying my limitless,un
Lv jo x

Unknown said...

looks like a great day out, lovely pics and glad the rain stayed away, it has been gorgeous here all day not long back from a walk along the shore.
Chris x

patcrafts said...

Looks like you had a good day, kids look to be enjoying themselves. Glad the rain stayed away for you. I met the fog too on the tops the rain kept off for the BBQ xx

Kathleen said...

Great photo's Anne, isn't it strange the places kids find to climb into.
Been off most of last week to Filey and we had very mixed weather, mostly rain.

Kath x

kayc said...

Glad you had a good time. What great photos! Take Care. Kathleen x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I thought I had left a comment earlier, but when I stopped by today, didn't see it. I really laughed when the kids got in the lockers. that was sheer fun to see.

I can tell that Cathedral must have been huge, because I could see from the surroundings (like the cranes that work on skyscrapers) how large it was.

The Albert Dock and the Mersey looked cold and blustery, something very unique for June. But the photos told the tale, that's for sure.

I MUST find Chiezo's web site or information, because I am always up for reading about environmental issues.

Not sure what I was going to tell you because I lost my train of thought. Actually, it jumped its track about the time I decided to leave another comment (grin). Have a super day and week.